Forestry tools - Calculators, App's and Programs
These tools are potentially useful to assist landowners, agents and foresters to manage their forests and woodlots.
Tools are described below and a link to their location is provided.
Australia's Forests and Forestry Glossary
A stand-alone publication intended to serve as a comprehensive and authorative reference for the interpretarion and use of forest and forestry terms at the national level in Australia by bringing together a common set of terms with consistent definitions. Available as both a searchable web version and accessible as a PDF, with a hardcopy booklet to be released at a later date. Suitable for use by the public, educators, students, government employees and those working in forests, forest management and forestry.
CLICK HERE to view the GLOSSARY on the Forests Australia website
Farm Forestry Toolbox
The Farm Forestry Toolbox is a collection of computer programs (called tools) designed to assist owners and managers of small to medium sized forests to map, measure and manage their estates. Tools are categorised as HAND tools, POWER tools, EDITORS, and HEALTH tools:
* HAND tools are mostly simple, stand-alone programs;
* POWER tools are sophisticated inter-related programs requiring data from various EDITORS;
* EDITORS change system-wide settings and prepare data for use by the POWER tools; and
* The HEALTH tool is a visual disease identification key for blue gum and radiata pine in southern Australia.
The Farm Forestry Toolbox is FREE to download and use.
CLICK HERE to be taken to the Farm Forestry Toolbox page to download files
Wind Risk Calculator
Private Forests Tasmania has produced ‘Forests and wind risk in Tasmania: a guidebook for foresters, landowners and planners’ and a ‘Wind risk calculator’ to assist in the collation of data and determination of the forest wind risk.
To view the 'Forests and wind risk in Tasmania' guidelines book please CLICK HERE
To view additional information about the Wind Risk Calculator please CLICK HERE
CLICK HERE to be taken directly to the Wind Risk Calculator
AFORA's Practical Tools
Australian Forest Operations Research Alliance (AFORA) develops practical tools to improve:
* the understanding, management and control of forest operational costs for existing, evolving and new harvest systems;
* the planning and management of value recovery within harvest operations; and
* the application of optimisation to supply chain efficiency planning and management.
* the ALPACA tool allows modelling of single forestry machines or entire harvest systems; and
* the Machine Costs tool is a single machine analysis to evaluate the machine’s hourly cost.
CLICK HERE to be taken to the AFORA website for additional information.
CLICK HERE to be taken to AFORA's website for industry tool downloads
DPIWE’s LISTmap is a source of many useful layers to assist foresters, landowners and planners including:
In the PRIMARY INDUSTRIES - FARMING section the Enterprise Suitability – Pinus radiata aims to classify land suitable for growing farm tree species (Eucalyptus nitens and E.globulus will be added).
LISTmap and its basic function are available for FREE.
CLICK HERE to be taken to LISTmap website
PFT (Esk Mapping & GIS) Property Planning Mapper and Calculator
A handful of mapping & calculator tools to provide immediate ‘farm planning’ benefit for landowners running small to medium farming and forestry enterprises across Tasmania.
The PFT Property Planning Mapper is available for FREE.
Coming soon .....